quick update
Hello friends! Just wanted to let everyone know that things are going well here in Btown. I have received some concerned emails and phone calls with regards to my last post. So sorry about that! The power is on every night - power outages don't happen all that regularly, just occasionally. I have also been experiencing problems with my laptop, so consistent internet access has been a bit of a problem.
I didn't mean to alarm anyone. Things have been and have felt relatively stable the last month. I think my point with that last posting though was to let you all know that things are not constantly stable here. However, there is no need to worry. People here have been living this way their entire lives, and each day they teach me how to have a wise sort of faith in trusting that G-d is indeed in control.
It is not all rainbows and unicorns and beautiful peacemaking sunshine over here though. And I think it is important to convey that to my friends and family back home. Otherwise I would not be honest with myself or you about the reality of the situation here.
But please do not worry. Just be aware. Let some of my stories upset you and sit with those uncomfortable feelings. Then invite G-d in and ask if there is anything the Spirit is moving you to do.
Several of you have insinuated that you might want to come and visit - to come and see for yourselves just what it is like here (KAREN ;) - PLEASE COME! BY ALL MEANS, COME! I can think of nothing that would bring me more joy than to welcome you here. You would be safe, you would be embraced and received with so much love and hospitality. Send me an email if you are interested and we can work up a great opportunity for you to visit holy places and meet holy people.
And while you are planning, invite Congressman Miller as well. ;) I would LOVE to welcome him as a fellow United Methodist and Gulf Coast resident.
To update you briefly, life is busy here at Wi'am. We began our Summer Camp for kids so I am teaching English and guitar (which is somewhat humorous for those of you that know how absurd my guitar skills are... still, there are numerous Palestinian youth running around that can now play a G-chord! Hooray!), continuing to help with editing and producing articles for the center, and most recently interviewing some people and travelling with international groups to different locations.
Yesterday I visited Hebron for the first time and tomorrow we will go to Jaffa, Tel Aviv, Haifa and Nazareth to meet with local people who are working for peace and justice in this land.
I will try to give a more comprehensive email update early next week after I return from the tour.
Till then, I hope you are all well.
Peace and love,
Ashley


1 Comments:
ASHLEY!!! I'm so amazed and impressed by the work you're doing in Bethlehem, in Palestine! Of course, you always did have a big heart, a helpful and willing spirit, a kind and gentle soul. It is truly inspirational to know someone who IS actually working for Peace. My thoughts and ideas are many, my actions (so far) are few; but I do hope to reach a place in the not-too-distant future when I can say that I am starting to take more action.
Are you still dancing?! I've taken some classes here and there, performed once (with Deirdre and Adrianna for Gull Point, when Adrianna was graduating...we did "Wishing Well"!). But I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to get back into it full-force. Again, lots of ideas, just need to take ACTION! Eventually, I see my love of Dancing, Music, and Peace coelescing into one incredible Force...just can't get there fast enough...but baby steps first...
Anyway, it's great to see what you're up to over there, I'm so proud of you!!! Keep up the good work, I'll try to be in touch!
Peace and Love,
Rosemary
Post a Comment
<< Home