Letter to Congressman Miller
This is a copy of a letter I sent my congressmen today regarding a bill in the House. Thankfully the bill has been postponed... But writing this letter reminded me of the blessings of democracy. I pray that wherever you are, you are able to speak, to speak freely, to speak boldly, and to be responsible with that priveledge...
May 9, 2006
Ashley Wilkinson
United Methodist Church Mission Intern
Bethlehem, West Bank, Palestine
RE: HR 4681
Dear Congressman Miller,
I write to you today as your sister in faith in the United Methodist Church, as your neighbor from Pensacola and as a concerned international peace worker. You see, I currently live in Bethlehem in the West Bank, Palestine. I am a missionary with the General Board of Global Ministries and I serve alongside our other Christian brothers and sisters here in Bethlehem.
I cannot fully express what a joy it has been to serve here for the past 8 months. I work at a Peace and Conflict Resolution Center, helping children cope with trauma, leading Bible studies for exhausted adults, and empowering young people to choose non-violent actions as the most faithful and democratic means to dealing with their difficult situation.
I have learned so much from my co-workers, neighbors and friends. The people here love me and have welcomed me into their homes as if I were a one of their own family. They show a level of grace, patience and hope that I have never before witnessed. In addition to the daily challenge of raising their children and providing for their families, they are also struggling to hold on to their humanity and push their society forward.
You see, people in Palestine are really just like you and me. They want to go to work each day – they love to work! They want to put food on the table for their children and families – they love to eat! J They want to participate in a democratic society – they love to speak! They want to visit with family and friends that do not live in Bethlehem – they love to be with people! They want to visit America and they want people to visit Palestine – they love Americans! They want to go to sleep each night without the anxiety of waking up to tanks and shelling and curfews – they love to sleep! And they want to be able to look themselves in the mirror each morning and see the reflection even of their enemy looking back – they love all of humanity! They want basic healthcare and a strong economy and all the good things that all people everywhere should have – they love their basic human rights.
People in Palestine love peace. And I must ask their forgiveness and yours for not having spoken to you about them earlier. I know you are busy with important issues back home. And I was so pleased to see some of the legislation you are working on for the Gulf Coast. Being in Bethlehem has reminded me just how important it is to work to improve lives in our own communities.
But Representative Miller, we are the United States of America, and whether we like it or not, everything we do effects the entire world. As a worker in a Palestinian NGO that will suffer greatly if HR 4681 (in its current form) goes through, I beg you either to vote no on this legislation or at least speak some concerns as to the effect it will have on the average Palestinian. Use my words if you like. Look at my website, http://www.ashleyinbethlehem.blogspot.com/, look at what the United Methodist Church and General Board have to say…
This bill needs to put more direct pressure on the Hamas government to change in a constructive and specific way. This bill must provide the possibility for funding to continue to reach NGO's and other humanitarian aid organizations in the West Bank and Gaza. Otherwise, resentment will only build in the Palestinian communities and allow for more fundamentalist groups to come in.
Please Rep. Miller, please help the people I have come to love so dearly. In his work of Conflict Resolution, my boss often says, 'we have found that conflict resolution is the art of working and sharing ourselves, our resources, our minds, and our hearts with others.'
The longer I am here, the more I realize that this is also our calling. As Christians and as Americans, it is our blessing and responsibility to live for others. Please help us to bring some resolution to this conflict, not more division and neglect. I will continue to pray for you and the other members of Congress and of the Senate as you make the important decisions set before you each day.
Thank you for listening to my voice and thank you for listening to the voice of the voiceless.
Please take good care.
Peace,
Ashley Wilkinson
Mission Intern
UMC General Board of Global Ministries
ashley_ps139@hotmail.com


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home