the house of bread/the house of meat

I am currently living in Bethlehem ("house of meat" in Arabic and "house of bread" in Hebrew). I have spent about one year in this lovely city and will be here a few more months. Here are some thoughts and pictures about my time in this place...

Monday, December 05, 2005

Day 3 (still) - An afternoon in Jaffa

This afternoon I got on a bus with about 20 other people and we traveled to Jaffa, on the Mediterranean coast. We first visited with Roni Ben Efrat, a Jewish Israeli and founder of Challenge magazine. The magazine is published in English by Arabs and Jews. The magazine focuses on helping internationals understand the conflict in Israel/Palestine. It features political analysis, investigative reporting, interviews, eye-witness reports, gender studies, arts, etc. More information about Challenge magazine is available at www.hanitzotz.com/challenge
Roni spoke with us about the effects of globalization and of capitalism on the Arab community in Israel/Palestine. Now, I do not claim to be an expert in economics, so I will just pass along some of the information she gave us – mainly, some of the struggles the workers here are facing. With an increase in the number of imported migrant workers, many Arabs have lost jobs. Between 1995-2000 alone, 35,000 Arab construction workers lost employment. Through the Workers Advice Center (which is connected to Challenge magazine), Arab citizens of Israel are given guidance on what their rights are as workers. They are also educated as to some creative ways that they might use their skills. You can learn more about their many programs at www.workersadvicecenter.org
One of the creative ways Roni is involved in establishing employment opportunities is through the Sindyanna of Galilee project. The only producing fair-trade organization in Israel, this project was established in 1996 to help Arab farmers market olives, olive oil, and soap. Since that time, a coop has also been established for the marketing of Zatar (an excellent spice that is highly popular in this region and ought to be elsewhere – it makes a lovely addition to cheeses and olive oil J). In the future they hope to develop coops for the production of honey and baskets. You can learn more about this group at http://www.sindyanna.com
I enjoyed the conversation we had with Roni. To begin with, she had an Israeli accent, as opposed to a Palestinian accent. This was refreshing for me. To think of a group of Arabs and Jews working together to create job opportunities for others, to think that they are empowering local people to use the produce of the land in fair and challenging ways – this is extremely encouraging. This group of people is not out to change the world, but they are focused on changing the lives of the people around them. Roni encouraged us to ‘each do our own bit in our part of the world.’ I would encourage you to look at these websites. I subscribed to receive Challenge magazine, and it seems that the gifts of olive oil and olive oil soap would make wonderful Christmas presents.
If you don’t feel like going through the hassle of all that ordering and shipping, then maybe take a minute to find out if there is anything produced locally in your area that would make a nice present for a family member or friend. I remember last year that a group of my friends and I bought a heifer from Heifer International and we dedicated it to someone on his birthday. What a great investment this was, and likely continues to be! As the season of giving approaches, I hope that we will consider ways to give that bless not only the recipient, but those who are in need as well. Who knows? Maybe you will be lucky enough to receive some olive oil from the Holy Land.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home